VEGETARIAN & WHEAT-FREE
S H O P
WHEAT-FREE:Â Spelt bread
T I M I N G
SERVES 2:Â Makes 4 slices (using conventionally-sliced bread; 3 slices using bread that is sliced thicker)
TOTAL TIME:Â 10 min
- Take maple syrup or preserves out of refrigerator to bring to room temperature.
- Turn oven to 2ooÂºF if you need it to keep finished French toast warm while making batches.
- Coat bread in egg mixture & pan fry.
C O O KÂ /Â P R E P A R E
1/4 TBSP butter
2 tsp heavy cream
4 slices bread, sliced 3/4″ thick (ideal)
Freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp powdered sugar
- Melt butter in a skillet or on a griddle heated to medium.
- In a shallow dish large enough to hold a slice of bread, whisk eggs, cream & nutmeg until combined.
- Coat bread in egg mixture & place in skillet.Â Let cook until lightly browned on one side (about 3 min, depending upon thickness of bread).
- Turn & fry on other side until lightly browned.
S E R V E
Serve with preserves or warm maple syrup.
W O R K P L A C EÂ Â L U N C H
Iâ€™ve had some success with leftover French toast.Â Of course it isnâ€™t as good as freshly made, but will suffice for a quick workplace breakfast.Â Heat in the microwave.Â Or, bring slice of French toast to room temperature, spread one half with preserves & fold over for an on-the-go breakfast that is certainly better than having nothing to fill your stomach in the morning.