DAILY POST FEB 4th: THE WINE BENEATH MY WINGS
S H O P
Brandy (or Madiera, Sherry or Port)
T I M I N G
MARINADE TIME:Â 3 – 5 days
COOKING TIME:Â 20 – min
- Preheat oven 325ÂºF.
- Marinate for at least 3 hrs, unrefrigerated or 3 – 5 days, refrigerated.
- Remove wings from marinade & bake.
- Make gravy, add wings & toss.
C O O KÂ /Â P R E P A R E
5 lbs chicken wings, with end tips removed
5 c red wine (750 ml bottle of wine = Â±3 c)
1 1/4 c Brandy (or Madiera, sherry or port)
1 head garlic, peeled crushed or minced
10 shallots, peeled & cut in polar halves (small shallots) or polar quarters (large shallots)
2 TBSP rosemary
2 TBSP thyme
Handful of parsley
5 bay leaves
Corn oil for oiling pan
3 TBSP Cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 c TBSP cold wine or chicken broth
- Put parsley, bay & peppercorns in spice infuser.
- Combine rest of ingredients, add infuser & chicken.Â Turn every 8 hrs.
- Place wingsÂ fat side up, in lightly oiled bottom of broiling pan leaving a space in the center of the pan.
- Add shallots in the center ofÂ the pan, surrounded by wings.
- Bake in preheated oven, on 2nd from bottom shelf, for 2o min total.Â After 10 min, using a pastry brush baste with marinade.
- The juice from the cooking wings will run into the shallots, and as the shallots brown, produce the foundation for making the gravy.
- Wings are done after they have browned nicely in color. Remove wings to platter, leaving shallots on pan.
- Add marinade to pan & place on stove over medium heat, dissolving the foundation from the pan into the marinade.Â Reduce marinade to half.
- Reduce heat, add HALF of the cornstarch & wine mixture and stir with whisk until well-blended.Â Bring slowly back to a simmer, stirring.Â When done, gravy should be thick, about the consistency of honey.Â If this is achieved, discard remaining cornstarch/wine mixture.Â If gravy is too thin, add more cornstarch/wine mixture, stirring & bring back to simmer.
- When gravy is sufficiently thickened, add wings & toss.
S E R V E
Pile on platter & serve with plenty of napkins.
W O R K P L A C EÂ Â L U N C H / F R E E Z E
Serve hot or at room temp. Great for taking to work.