VEGETARIAN & GLUTEN-FREE
S H O P
Rye flour OR whole wheat flour
Chopped pecans or sliced almonds
OPTION:Â Heavy cream, for serving
T I M I N G
MAKES 8-12 muffins or 1 loaf
PREPARATION TIME:Â 20 min
Muffins: Â 20-30 min, depending upon size
Loaf or bundt:Â 60 min
COOLING TIME: 10 min,
- Preheat oven to 350ÂºF (325ÂºF for glassware).
- Grease baking pan/tin.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Separate eggs:Â whites in medium bowl & yolks in small bowl.
- Beat egg whites into stiff peaks.
- Combine as below.
- Spoon into muffin tin or cake pan & bake.
- Cool & remove from pan.
- Beat cream into stiff peaks and store, covered, in refrigerator.
C O O KÂ /Â P R E P A R E
1 1/2 c flour, sifted
1/2 c sucanat
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c coconut, unsweetened
1/2 c chopped pecans or sliced almonds
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/3 c corn oil
1/3 c applesauce
1/2 c cider
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites, beaten stiff
PREPARATION â€“ 3 bowls
- Combine dry ingredients, above, with wooden spoon in large bowl.
- Separate eggs into 2 bowls: beat egg whites in medium size bowl & set aside.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl; mix in rest of wet ingredients, except egg whites.Â Add wet mixture to dry ingredients in large bowl & mix well.Â Consistency will be that of wet, lumpy sand.
- Add half of the beaten egg whites & fold batter into egg whites.Â Be sure to fold down to the bottom of the bowl, leaving no dry ingredients on the bottom unblended.
- Add the rest of the beaten egg whites & gently fold into the batter.
- Push batter into cake pan or spoon into muffin tin.
- Bake, test for doneness & cool on rack.Â Remove after 10 min.
S E R V E
Serve with coffee.Â Top with whipped cream & a sprinkle of fresh nutmeg to get that spicy aroma wafting about.Â Whipped cream can also be served in the coffee, along with a shot of brandy or liquor for a nightcap & to take the edge off the caffeine.
S T O R E / W O R K P L A C EÂ Â L U N C H
Store in grip lock plastic bag for a day at room temperature, afterward in refrigerator.
Perfect to take for breakfast or lunch to the workplace; ideal with coffee.