DAILY POST MAR 20th: SPRING HAS ARRIVED
GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN
S H O P
Sea or kosher salt
T I M I N G
MAKES about 2 1/2 c
SOAKING TIME:Â 1/2 day
COOKING TIME:Â 2-3 hrs
PREPARATION TIME:Â 30 min
- Soak chickpeas.
- Cook chickpeas.
- Mash chickpeas.
- Blend w/other ingredients.
- Combine w/final ingredients.
C O O KÂ /Â P R E P A R E
1 1/3 c dried chickpeas OR 2 c canned chickpeas, drained
1 t sea or kosher salt
3 cloves garlic, mashed in garlic press or finely minced
1/4 c fresh lemon juice
1 c taratoor
- Rinse dried chickpeas w/water.Â Cover with at least 2″ filtered water (peas will expand) & soak for 1/2 day.Â Drain & simmer in fresh filtered water & salt 2 hrs until tender; drain chickpeas, reserving cooking liquid OR use canned chickpeas.
- Mash chickpeas w/potato masher; combine w/garlic.
- Put 1/2 c reserved cooking liquid or filtered water into blender or food processor; add chickpeas & garlic & blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, slowly add lemon juice, whisking quickly.
- Add taratoor slowly in a thin stream, whisking until combined.
- If hummus is too thick, whisk up to 1/2 c cooking liquid or filtered water, a TBSP at a time, into mixture until desired consistency is achieved.Â Hummus should be thick enough to dip raw vegetables without dripping.
S E R V E
Put into small bowl, garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro, and a little olive oil.Â Serve as hor d’oeuvres, an appetizer or light snack with fresh, raw vegetables, pita bread or corn chips; as a sandwich spread; or with broiled or grilled fish.
W O R K P L A C EÂ Â L U N C H
Absolutely!Â Leave at work & bring in fresh vegetables daily to dip.