DAILY POST APRIL 28th: LITTLE ITALY BECKONED
GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN
S H O P
Sweet Italian sausage in casing
Tomato sauce or puree, with no added salt, sugar or preservatives
Black pepper, freshly ground
Kosher or salt
T I M I N G
COOKING TIME:20 min
- Brown meatballs.
- Saute vegs; add tomato sauce, mushroom & herbs; simmer.
- Add meatballs to marinara sauce.
C O O K¬† /¬† P R E P A R E
2 TBSP olive oil, divided
1/3 lb sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 carrot, sliced thin
Few slices green pepper, chopped
Dozen whole cinnamon cap or enocki mushrooms OR 2 button mushrooms, sliced
8 oz marinara sauce
Generous pinch oregano
Generous pinch dried basil, or 1/8 c fresh, chopped
Pinch of thyme
Dash black pepper, ground
1/8 c Reggiano, grated
- Heat olive oil in small skillet.
- Remove sausage from its casing, about an inch at a time.¬† Squeeze the sausage out of the casing by pinching between two fingers and pulling on the casing until a meatball-shaped amount comes out.¬† Do that with the rest of the sausage.¬† You should have about 5 meatballs.
- When oil is hot (when a flick of a water drop sizzles in the oil), brown the meatballs on all sides, turning with tongs (don’t pierce).¬† If you prefer, they can also be cooked in a hot oven (400¬ļF).¬† Cook well, until¬† hot in the middle, at least 10 min.¬† Remove & drain.
- While meat balls are browning, heat oil in a lidded skillet, saut√© onion until brown.¬† Add garlic, carrot, green pepper & saute until tender.
- Add marinara sauce, mushrooms, herbs, salt & pepper; heat until bubbly.¬† Lower heat & simmer until rest of dinner is ready.¬† Add meatballs & (if necessary) heat until hot throughout.
S E R V E
W O R K P L A C E¬†¬† L U N C H
Steep the mung bean or rice noodles in hot water; if necessary, put in the microwave or 1 min, drain well. Heat meat balls & marinara separately. Top noodles w/meat balls, spoon marinara over.¬† Serve w/garlic bread.