DAILY POST MAY 3rd:¬† GET READY FOR MOTHER’S DAY
GLUTEN-FREE & VEGETARIAN
S H O P
T I M I N G
MAKES 1/2 c
PREPARATION TIME: 15 min
- Melt butter.
- Beat yolks & lemon juice; cook.
- Add butter.
C O O K¬† /¬† P R E P A R E
1/2 c unsalted butter, divided into 4 + 4 TBSP
2 egg yolks
2 TBSP lemon juice
- Put enough water into bottom of double boiler so that water does not touch the bottom of top pot.
- Bring water to boil in the bottom of the double boiler, melt 4 TBSP butter in top pot.¬† When it has just melted, pour butter into a separate dish.
- With top of double boiler off the heat, add lemon juice first, then beat in egg yolks until they are thick & sticky.
- Stirring constantly, return top of double boiler to pot & bring water to a boil to cook egg yolk mixture.¬† It will thicken in 1 to 2 min.¬† If it appears too be thickening to quickly, remove the top pot & put into a pot of cold water to stop the cooking.
- Whisk in melted butter a TBSP at a time.
- Return to heat & whisk the solid butter, 1 TBSP at a time, beating continuously.¬† Sauce should be thick, and able to hold shape for a second.¬† Don’t let it thin & break down by overheating.¬† If it seems to be thinning, off heat & stop adding butter.¬† Beat vigorously to insure a smooth consistency.
S E R V E
Serve immediately, over vegetables like asparagus, broccoli or cauliflower, or Eggs Benedict.¬†¬† Don’t expect the sauce to be hot; warm is sufficient if the food underneath is hot.