GLUTEN-FREE & VEGETARIAN, VEGAN OPTION
S H O P
Tomato puree, canned¬†with no sugar, salt or additives; just pureed tomato
Butter or olive oil
Whole black peppercorns
Honey¬† VEGAN OPTION:¬† Sucanat
OPTIONAL:¬† Red wine vinegar
T I M I N G
MAKES 16 oz
- Saute vegetables.
- Add puree, spices. ¬†Simmer until thick.
- Correct seasoning.
- Run through blender.
C O O K¬† /¬† P R E P A R E
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 TBSP butter, or olive oil
1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, minced
2¬†cloves garlic, minced
20 oz can tomato puree, with no sugar, salt or additives; just pureed tomato
2 bay leaves
8 black peppercorns
8 whole allspice, or 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 whole cloves, or 1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 TBSP sweet paprika
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 TBSP honey
OPTIONAL:¬† red wine vinegar, up to 1/2 TBSP
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS - In pot with tight-fitting lid, large enough to hold the tomato puree, saut√© onion in butter until deeply caramelized, about 2o min.¬† If using oil rather than butter, heat will be higher to brown & caramelize the onions.
- Add celery, sweet red pepper & garlic; saute until very tender, about 15 min.
- Add tomato puree & combine.
- Put bay, pepper, allspice & cloves in spice infuser & add.
- Add paprika, dry mustard & salt; stir, bringing to a low simmer.
- Simmer on low for 2 – 3 hrs, stirring frequently, until reduced by about half.
- If scorching occurs on bottom of pot, or you cannot stir frequently enough, transfer to a double boiler. ¬†It will take longer, but there will be no chance of scorching.
- When ketchup has thickened, remove infuser. ¬†Taste & correct for seasoning. ¬†If you like more of a bite, add up to 1 TBSP wine vinegar, a 1/2 tsp at a time. ¬†Pour into blender & blend until smooth.
- Let cool.
S E R V E / S T O R E / F R E E Z E
Store in refrigerator.¬† Serve cold or at room temperature.¬† Pour into ice tray, freeze & store cubes in grip-lock freezer bag. ¬†Defrost as needed in open dish at room temperature.
W O R K P L A C E¬†¬† L U N C H
Pop a frozen cube in a cup, & by lunchtime it will be ready to eat. ¬†French fries never tasted so good.