Daily Post: Jan 2ndÂ FEEDING THE BODY & SOUL
S H O P
Chicken – A whole fryer, leg/thigh quarters or whole breasts.
Whole black peppercorns
Kosher or sea salt
T I M I N G
- Boil water while cleaning chicken.
- Simmer chicken, remove & cool.
- Remove bones & add back to pot.
- Simmer 4 hr.
- Chill 8 hr.
- Degrease.Â Freeze stock at this point.
- To make soup; simmer 10 – 15 min with additional spices & vegetables.
- Add chicken.
C O O K Â Â / Â Â P R E P A R E
INGREDIENTS: CHICKEN STOCK Stage One
6 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 onion, quartered
Handful of celery leaves, or 1 stalk of celery, chopped
Handful of parsley, stems removed
- In a large stock pot with tight-fitting lid, heat 4 qt filtered water to boiling.Â Add first 5 ingredients.
- Clean chicken, removing skin; ad to pot
- Bring chicken to a boil.Â Simmer:
- Quarters: 45 min to 1 hr, depending upon size
- Whole breast: 15-20 min
- Split breasts:Â 5-10 min
- Whole 3 lb chicken: 1 hr
- Chicken is done if the meat has just begun to pull away from the bone.Â With tongs, remove to a plate to cool. Â Remove whole chicken with a long wooden spoon inserted into the cavity.Â If itâ€™s falling off the bone, use a slotted spoon.
- Remove bones & joint cartilage from chicken; hands work best for this.Â If you have to cut meat from the bones â€“ or if there is any trace of red â€“ chicken is not done.Â Return to pot for additional cooking.Â Bones should slip easily away from the meat.Â Return bones & cartilage to pot
- Refrigerate boned chicken in air-tight container.
- Simmer stock 4 hr.
- Strain stock through sieve, remove bones & press vegetables & meat bits through sieve with a wooden spoon or large pestle.
- Return to pot & let cool before refrigerating.Â Chill until fat has risen to the top & can be easily removed with a metal spoon.Â Discard fat.
- HOLD At this point stock can be used for other preparations, or frozen in ice trays & stored in grip-lock storage bags for future use.Â To make soup, continue.
INGREDIENTS: CHICKEN SOUP Stage Two
Handful of cooked chicken
1 Celery stalk, chopped
1 Carrot, sliced
Large pinch of:
Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Return degreased stock to pot & heat to boil; then lower to simmer.Â Add basil, rosemary, savory, thyme.
- HOLD At this point soup can be stored in refrigerator until ready for use.Â Add chicken & vegetables for each meal so that they wonâ€™t overcook from reheating.
- Add chopped celery & carrot. Cut up chicken & add.
- Salt to taste.
S T O R E / S E R V E
Frozen soup keeps up to a 3 months.Â Store soup to eat in the short run in pot or large container in refrigerator.Â To eat, bring to boil.Â Cut up carrot, & celery; simmer until tender, add chicken & heat thoroughly.
W O R K P L A C EÂ Â L U N C H
Homemade soup is great, wherever youâ€™re lunching, or when youâ€™re working late & need a ready dinner.Â Good heated with left-over Chinese take-out rice.Â Whole grain crackers or bread round out a comforting meal al desko.