DAILY POST APRIL 15th:¬† THE TAXMAN COMETH
GLUTEN-FREE & VEGETARIAN
S H O P
T I M I N G
PREPARATION TIME:¬† 10 min
COOKING TIME:¬† 1 hr
SIEVE/BLENDER TIME:¬† 10 min
- Boil leeks, potatoes & herbs.
- Mash potatoes, press soup through a sieve; cool.
- Run through a blender; heat; add butter, cream & nutmeg.
C O O K / P R E P A R E
1/2 lb leeks, large or two small (about 2 c)
1/2 lb potatoes (about 2 c)
1 tsp sea salt
Put into spice infuser:
- Few sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black peppercorn
1 1/2 TBSP Butter
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 TBSP heavy cream VARIATION:¬† Whip cream, with an egg beater, for a lighter, fluffy soup
1 TBSP chives, chopped
- Bring to boil 1 qt filtered water in stock pot with tight-fitting lid; add leeks, potatoes & spice infuser & cook until soft.
- Remove the leeks and pass through a sieve or food mill, discarding the leftover pulp.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Run through a blender.¬† HOLD IF NOT SERVING IMMEDIATELY.
- Heat to a boil in a double boiler; off heat.¬† Blend in butter, cream & nutmeg.
S E R V E
Serve hot, warm or cold.¬† Garnish with chives.¬† Perfect with a French baguette and a salad.
W O R K P L A C E¬†¬† L U N C H
Well, this depends upon whether you have more time at home in the morning or at work right before lunch.¬† You could heat the puree, swirl in the cream, butter & nutmeg, and put into a thermos for an easy lunch.¬† If you have more time on the other end, put the puree (add the nutmeg) in one container, the butter in a third, and the cream in another (or just buy a half-pint carton on the way).¬† Either method works, and will give you a beautiful break in the middle of your workday.