DAILY POST MAY 22nd: HOME EC?Â HECK NO.Â FOOD ED!
S H O P
LEFTOVER:Â Ham bone
Dried green split peas
T I M I N G
SERVES 2, a few times
PREPARATION TIME: 10 min
COOKING TIME:Â 1/2 day or so
PREHEAT OVEN:Â 300ÂºF (to finish)
- Boil ham bone & vegs, simmer.
- Strain; add peas & simmer in oven.
C O O KÂ /Â P R E P A R E
2 c dried green split peas
1 large onion, sliced
2 stalks celery OR celery leaves from a head of celery, sliced
handful of parsley leaves
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp thyme
- Put all ingredients except peas in a large soup pot w/a tight-fitting lid.
- Bring to boil w/aboutÂ 6 qts filtered water; reduce heat & simmer 3 – 4 hrs.
- Strain stock, pressing vegetables & herbs down to extract their juices; discard bone, vegs & herbs.
- Put peas in strainer & rinse in cold running water.
- Add peas to stock & stir until boiling so that peas do not stick to bottom of pot.
- Put in oven to simmer for 1 hr, stirring occasionally.
- Soup is done when peas have been reduced smooth.
S E R V E
Serve with a loaf of crusty bread and olive oil, and a hearty tossed salad.
W O R K P L A C EÂ Â L U N C H
Absolutely!Â Best reheated in a double boiler or microwave.Â Pick up some crusty bread at the bakery on the way to work.Â This soup freezes well, too.