DAILY POST JAN 5th:¬† BE KIND TO THE COOK
VEGETARIAN & GLUTEN-FREE
S H O P
Applesauce with no added sugar
Red-skinned, or white, potatoes
T I M I N G
VARIATION:¬† Simple Mashed Potatoes, see #3, below.
TOTAL TIME:¬† 20 min
- Clean, cut & put on potatoes to cook.
- Add rest of ingredients & mash.
C O O K / P R E P A R E
1 TBSP butter
2/3 lb red-skinned potatoes, 2-4 potatoes depending upon size
Dash kosher salt
2 TBSP applesauce
1 TBSP heavy cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Clean potatoes, cut into quarters or smaller.¬† The smaller you cut, the quicker they cook.
- Melt butter in small saucepan w/tight-fitting lid.
- When butter begins to bubble add potatoes & stir (or put on lid & shake) so butter thoroughly coats potato. Dissolve salt in1/4 c water & add. Cover & cook on low heat until you can easily insert a knife into the potato. [FOR SIMPLE MASHED POTATOES; JUST MASH & SERVE.]
- Add applesauce & heat thorough.¬† Off heat.
- Mash potatoes in pot. Stir in cream, add nutmeg.
Dish onto plate & garnish with a wee grating of fresh nutmeg.¬† This is a delicate preparation; the flavors just hint at the apple & nutmeg; the cream adds an even more subtle flavor & makes it creamy.¬† Perfect alongside simply-prepared proteins:¬† fish, chicken, pork loin, grilled steak; as a topping for shepherd’s pie; as a late dinner with a vegetable or two.
Of course!¬† Heats up quickly in the microwave.¬† Great with leftover meat from dinner before.