DAILY POST FEB 11th: EVEN BETTER ZUCCHINI
GLUTEN-FREE & VEGETARIAN
S H O P
Reggiano or parmesan cheese
T I M I N G
TOTAL COOKING TIME:¬† 20-25 min
- Saute onion.
- Add garlic, sweet red pepper, scallion & saut√©.
- Add squash & cook.
C O O K / P R E P A R E
1/2 TBSP butter
1/2 medium yellow or white onion, cut into polar half, then slice into polar slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 sweet red pepper, cut into diagonal strips 1‚ÄĚ long
Zucchini or yellow squash, 1/3 lb per person, sliced into 1/4‚ÄĚ rounds
OPTIONAL¬† 1 TBSP Reggiano or parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in small saucepan.
- When butter begins to bubble, add onion and saut√© over medium heat until it has caramelized nicely. If pan gets dry, add another 1/2 TBSP butter.
- Add garlic & sweet red pepper; saut√© for 1 min.
- Add scallion; put zucchini on top of saut√©ing vegetables.¬† Cover.¬† At this point, dish can hold if you need to slow down things.¬† To resume:¬† turn flame to med & cook until seeds of zucchini are visible, but before slices are translucent.¬† Zucchini should be a little soft but hold it’s shape; color should be bright rather than dull.
- OPTIONAL¬† Sprinkle w/grated regiano or parmesan cheese while still in saucepan; shake.
Substitute 2-4 shallots for yellow onion, for a more delicately-flavored dish.
Substitute green pepper for sweet red pepper or half of the red pepper; flavor will be substantially different:¬† more pungent and less sweet.
S E R V E
Serve in separate bowls to preserve cooking juices.¬† Best consumed immediately after cooking.¬† Flavor will fall off dramatically with reheating as vegetables will inevitably overcook.
W O R K P L A C E¬†¬† L U N C H
Not bad eaten cold.